Please Have a read through and give me your comments!
Thank you, and forward the message to people who you think may be interested in implementing this!
A copy of this document is available in Word format, downloadable at
Potential committee Candidates!
Huan Yan (Ming wei)
please suggest additional candidates, especially our Malay and Indian friends who you think maybe interested! Also any 3rd Year or 5th Year Students that are active in Tzuchi Association
Repost this note if you can. :-)
Details of the programme
Proposal Of Environmental Carnival
1) Environmental Movie Screening
Entrance ticket = recycle items e/g 2kg of newspapers etc
(Get tickets and a badge in exchange)
Choice of movies
An inconvenient truth by Al gore
11th Hour by Leonardo Dicaprio
“Home” by Yann Arthus-Bertrand
- A research on the respective movies should be made with a summary
- it should be included with a Q&A session
(consider including Subtitles in Malay and Chinese )
2) What each of us can do (a multimedia presentation after the movie)
Title: A drop in the Ocean?
- hand outs will be given during the presentation
- detailing small lifestyle changes that students can make living in the hostels.
3) 2nd Multimedia presentation
- Recorded Video- “When I was small”
- detailing what has changed from the 1980’s till now in terms of the weather, the
environment and human relations etc
eg- when I was small our childhood was filled with kite-flying, hide and seek, now everyone has their hearing plugged up with earphones
When I was small we had tadpoles and guppies in drains and rain puddles… now we only have mud and sludge
We will collect video/ Audio/ Blog recordings of these memories
This effort is a joint effort between UM, USM and UKMMC (organized by E=MC2)
If it is successful, we have journalists in our ranks that can help publish our effort to the Mainstream Media
if that doesn't work out, we will always have YOUTUBE :-)
4)Exhibition of Environmental Products
- What are the products that are relevant to us students or doctors
- What can attract the companies/ societies to come
- Research on the exhibition during the Eco Film Festival organized by the Eco Knights
- Bazaar? What should be sold?
Exhibition of Environmental NGOs and groups
5)Contests? Research on the feasibility of a contest.
- any interest?
- Sponsorship of prizes?
6) Changes in KTDI (cooperate with JAKSA Ktdi)
- polystyrene and plastic bad use
: Information : The danger of Polystyrene.. contact with heat become styrene, a
: Encourage students to bring their own Tupperware to buy food from café’s or dine in
to enjoy discounts
: If opt for polystyrene must pay 20 cents extra (implemented in USM)
: Consider alternatives to Polystyrene ( a biodegradable type made from Palm oil waste)
- Introduction of Vegetarian food to other Ethics
(You are What you Eat)
Incorporate Ethnic Relations, as in a Forum ala Interfaith Forum held in Dk1 KCKL
when we were in 2st Year :
Title : What is Halal food, what is Vegetarian food?
Successful implementation in Wahid, move on to Kazema and Besta
Installing a recycling centre in KTDI itself, (area behind Kafe/ Underneath Surau)
- Collection servuces
- Cooperate with Rhea Corp
7) Additional programmes (recommendation from Prof Harlina)
A visit to Radicare Waste disposal facility for Medical Students
include visits to other centres/ places on the one day trip
Selection of the Date of the event
- Away from Exams and holidays,
- Ensure no clash with other programmes.
-maybe as a complementary programme in a mega programme such as Warisan Mesra?
Publisiti- PERSIAP (facebook and blog)
- KTDI (JAKSA)
Can incorporate Merit in this programme?
I will try to discuss with Fadhli
(Incorporate this the Racial Harmony theme ?)
Download the word file to Email to your friends at
Thank you very much,
sincerely Kuan Yew